• Advertisement

Site FAQ

General site-wide news and announcements. We are pretty easygoing around here but there are a few things we don't tolerate. Frequently Asked Questions (and answers!) and forum-specific how-to's can be found in here.

Site FAQ

Postby 4N2NR » 03 Mar 2009, 20:07

For the FAQ on the forum software see: faq.php

Here are some FAQ not covered by the above link:

Q: How did StreetEXtremes begin?
A: A group of enthusiasts in Austin, Texas formed the original car club. It started out as a local club and some of the members entered shows and competitions winning a number of awards and placing highly in prestigious national events. Time and life events eventually took their toll. Some of the vehicles found their way to new owners. One such new owner had the idea to start a Northeast chapter. The idea was well received by a couple of the original founders but not really pursued. The website was never fully developed and the registration lapsed. While searching for some information to further the Northeast chapter idea it was discovered that the domain was in distress and had lapsed. With a little discussion between friends and family members a plan was enacted and the domain rescued. The idea of having two chapters was expanded to global. The website was developed into what you see today.

Q: When I try to register it keeps giving me an error saying I did not answer the anti-bot question. What is that?
A: The anti-bot question makes it more difficult for spam bots to automatically create an account on the forum. Without it we would potentially get hundreds of bot registrations and spam messages daily for ailments we never knew we had or ways to correct dysfunctions we aren't even aware of. The answer to the question is there for a person to see and use when they register. If you are having difficulty answering it, copy and paste the answer from the hint that is there in the instructions on the registration page.

Q: I see you have advertisements on the site. Should I click them regularly for some purpose like generating money?
A: No, you should not click them just to click them. Click them if they interest you. Not all are pay-per-click. Some generate revenue based on how many thousand impressions are served, some are pay-per-click and some give a percentage of any sales as a result of a click. They are there to generate revenue to pay for recurring costs such as hosting, software licenses, domain registration, etc.

Q: What are the site ranks?
A:
Image Administrator
Image Webmaster
Image Moderator
Image Sponsor (Vendor)
Image Contributing Member
Image Senior Member 1500+ posts
Image Senior Member 500+ posts
Image Member 100+ posts
Image Member 50+ posts
Image Member 5+ posts
Image Member <5 posts

Q: Why do guests have read only access while members get so much more?
A: To encourage guests to become members, but mostly to prevent spam being posted by bots who visit.

Q: What are the benefits of becoming a member?
A: Members have access to 100+ forums, member PM capability & can message up to 5 members at once, can create 4 PM folders & store 25 messages per folder storage, access to the 100+ chat channels (as well as their own private chat channel) and a gallery that doesn't require additional login (they are bridged to the forum account) with 500Kb storage and ability to upload 5 files and from 3 URLs at a time.

Q: What is a Contributing Member and what are the perks to becoming one?
A: Contributing Members are members who have made a donation to StreetEXtremes. In addition to member benefits they receive additional PM message storage of 100 messages per folder and can message up to 100 users per message, a custom VIP rank, an @streetextremes.com email account (web access and/or Outlook or other email program), access to the 100+ chat channels (as well as their own private chat channel) and increased gallery storage with 2000Kb storage and ability to upload 8 files and from 5 URLs at a time, and access to a Contributing Members forum where Sponsors may offer special deals and discounts just for Contributing Members on select items or special promotions. This is renewed annually.

Q: What is a Sponsor and what are the perks to becoming one?
A: Sponsors are vendors - an independent shop, store or proprietor who has a business who has made a donation to StreetEXtremes. In addition to member benefits they receive their own subforum in the Classifieds section, additional PM message storage of 100 messages per folder and can message up to 100 users per message, a custom Sponsor rank, an @streetextremes.com email account (web access and/or Outlook or other email program), access to the 100+ chat channels (as well as their own subforum and private chat channels) and increased gallery storage with 2000Kb storage and ability to upload 8 files and from 5 URLs at a time, may submit a banner ad for inclusion on the site, and access to a Contributing Members forum where Sponsors may offer special deals and discounts just for Contributing Members on select items or special promotions. This is renewed annually.

Q: Why do you give so little PM message storage for members?
A: We have a finite amount of disk space available. We decided to give it to the members in increased gallery storage which we feel is larger than some other sites and larger than the gallery software default. Also, four folders at 25 messages per folder are reasonable in our opinion. After all, we are a public forum and not PM message service while we still realize the need for private communications. If greater private communication is needed we encourage members to use email or even use the telephone.

Q: What are the news feeds at the bottom of the pages for?
A: News and entertainment...and maybe a source for discussion in the forum.

Q: I would like to become a Contributing Member/Sponsor. How much do I donate?
A: It's a donation. The amount is up to you.

Q: Seriously, how much should I donate?
A: We recommend $20-25 US dollars. However, it is a donation and if you want to give more, or less, that is up to you.

Q: What is a Forum Title and how do I get one?
A: It is a custom member title assigned to a member. Usually you earn it and it shows up at the most unexpected and sometimes inopportune time. It can be a positive or negative thing - it depends on the member and what they did to earn the title. It is bestowed by a member of the admin team.

Q: Now that I have read the FAQ and am here at the bottom of the page it sure would be nice to have a back-to-the-top button. Will you add one?
A: Look to the right and you will see a white triangle in a grey circle. That is the back-to-the-top button.
I put the FUN in dysfunctional!

Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.
4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Forum Title: Fossil of the Forum

Return to News/FAQ/Rules