• Advertisement

1988 Bronco II XLT

A vault for each member to start a thread to keep a journal of their vehicle and its progress over time. Only start one thread per vehicle and continually update it so others can easily follow your progress. This is the place to watch the progression of our member's projects. Start a thread on your vehicle build. Update it with progress. We love pictures too! Try to keep it to one thread per vehicle. You can have more than one journal.

1988 Bronco II XLT

Postby 4N2NR » 05 Apr 2009, 10:21

I have a 1988 Bronco II XLT. I purchased it on eBay in September 2007 for $760 and drove it home. It promptly failed state inspection for numerous and mostly very minor issues. It has the 2.9L injected engine with 5 speed manual transmission and the hubs are manual. I don't know the history of it but I suspect it was previously wheeled and possibly wrecked. The front end appears newer. According to CarFax everything shows up 100% perfect. It has been registered in 8 different towns in PA but has never left PA. It came with a 2 inch suspension lift and 3 inch body lift and wearing a mix of 31x10.5 on the rear and 31x11.5 on the front. An aftermarket cold air intake was added and that appears to be the only modifications that have been made to it. My plans for it are first, correct the issues that prevented it from passing inspection and then set it up to be a daily driver. I am also considering putting a snow plow on it for the few winter storms we get.
I put the FUN in dysfunctional!

Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.
4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Forum Title: Fossil of the Forum

Re: 1988 Bronco II XLT

Postby 4N2NR » 06 Apr 2009, 17:24

After getting the Bronco II home and test driving it a little I purchased a new set of sneakers for it. The tires I selected were the Interco TrXus STS 31x11.5 all around. I loaded the tires into the rig and headed off. Well, needless to say i was disappointed with the results, but in retrospect I feel that when the fixes are complete I should have a decent truck.

Old tired sneakers:

New shoes:

Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.
4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby 4N2NR » 07 Apr 2009, 04:41

The old body bushings were cracking.

So it was off to Summit Racing for some Energy Suspension bushings and new Sportz Trailers lift blocks from eBay.

4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby 4N2NR » 11 Apr 2009, 02:31

The Energy Suspension bushing kit came with everything needed for the body bushings.

They were easy to install. The hardest part was getting the old body bolts out.

4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby 4N2NR » 19 Mar 2010, 20:04

Now it sits on Skyjacker shocks, Skyjacker steering stabilizer, sports some fender flares (so it'll pass inspection since the tire isn't supposed to be outside the wheel well), and emergency light bar.

B2.jpg
4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby 4N2NR » 22 Apr 2010, 16:13

Gawdam rust never sleeps! LOL. About midway down the frame the rear brake line has rusted through while sitting. I guess better it goes while sitting than while going down the road. Ohwell, just another thing that needs maintenance...

4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Return to Build Journals