• Advertisement

1986 (1985 Look) Honda CRX Si

A vault for each member to start a thread to keep a journal of their vehicle and its progress over time. Only start one thread per vehicle and continually update it so others can easily follow your progress. This is the place to watch the progression of our member's projects. Start a thread on your vehicle build. Update it with progress. We love pictures too! Try to keep it to one thread per vehicle. You can have more than one journal.

1986 (1985 Look) Honda CRX Si

Postby 4N2NR » 29 Mar 2009, 11:43

I acquired a 1986 Honda CRX Si in October 2008. It was sitting behind a house in Suffolk, VA. It had the start of a 1985 retro-conversion.
85-6CRXsmall.JPG
First Look At Her
85-6CRXsmall.JPG (20.54 KiB) Viewed 5816 times

Rear View small.JPG
Rear
Rear View small.JPG (37.07 KiB) Viewed 5816 times

It already had the recessed headlights and '85 wing. Seemed to run fine. In March 2009 I finally got around to picking it up and brining it back to Pennsylvania. In order to make the trip without any worries about blowouts the seller swapped the rims/tires combo for me to some better used rubber on phone dials. He also swapped the hood and sunroof panel since the ones on it were in worse shape. The newer hood had hardware for hood pins. Good idea on these older cars as the hoods have been known to occasionally fail at the latch and release while driving. It seemed fine so he included the pin set but I said I would install it later. It drove the eight hour trip without any problems but still needed some new tires.

passengerside1.JPG
Passenger Side

frontview1.JPG
Front

I decided on the new shoes - General Altimax HP in the stock size (185/60R14). These will do me just fine for spring-summer-fall driving. I don't plan on driving her in the snow. Mostly because I don't want to accelerate the rust by adding the chemicals they use on the roads here.

While getting the tires put on I had them do the emissions and state inspection. It passed the emissions but failed the state inspection for bake issues and some non-structural floor rot. So I guess I know the priority of my projects on her if I want to get her on the road. I installed the hood pins and am off to order the front rotor and pads, the rear shoes, and either rear wheel cylinders or rebuild kit today. It looks like the valve cover gasket may have dry rotted as there is oil seeping out from under the cover. I will get one of those too. I will try to remember to take pictures as this project shapes up.
I put the FUN in dysfunctional!

Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.
4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Forum Title: Fossil of the Forum

Re: 1986 (1985 Look) Honda CRX Si

Postby 4N2NR » 30 Mar 2009, 18:41

Today I got the front rotors and pads on. I am still waiting on rear wheel cylinders and valve cover gasket to come in. I had a "B" pillar bar laying around so I installed that. It is supposed to be for a 2nd gen but it fit okay.

bpillar1.JPG
Driver side "B" pillar

bpillar2.JPG
Passenger side "B" pillar

Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.
4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby 4N2NR » 01 Apr 2009, 04:44

The rear wheel cylinders are in along with a set of new brake shoes. Now I remember why I hate having to work on these cars. Lots of little pieces and tight places for my fat hands to try and fit into. Luckily I didn't lose anything but a couple of times I managed to shoot one of the springs off into the yard as the needlenose I was using were small and I couldn't keep a good grip on it. No pics of the brake job since they are stock brakes. It looks just like the maintenance manual shows. Also got the small rust areas cleaned, patched and undercoated. Now hopefully it will pass inspection.

4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby 4N2NR » 02 Apr 2009, 18:41

More goodies -

I got the rear hatch/wing winshield wiper delete in:
wing.JPG
Stock Wing

wiperdelete.JPG
Wiper Delete

And what goodness came in this box...could it be?...yes! 20 year old new stock.
matbox.JPG
Mat Box

drivermat.JPG
Driver Side

passengermat.JPG
Passenger Side

mats.JPG
Mats

4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby 4N2NR » 04 Apr 2009, 17:26

Well... I took her for reinspection today. It cost me a whoppin 212 (thats two dollars and twelve cents). It passed, they gave me a free reinspection and I had to pay two bucks plus tax for the sticker. I am a happy camper now.

4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby 4N2NR » 13 Apr 2009, 04:39

The weather has been less than cooperative this past week. Either it was snowing, raining, or just plain cold. The best I did with the car was to get it to a car wash on a drizzly day and vacuum it out. There were enough pine needles in it to start a forest. Next weekend I'll be taking her to a CRX meet so there wont be any progress for a while.

4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby 4N2NR » 21 Apr 2010, 19:12

Wow...a year later. And crap! failed inspection again this year. This time it is for the exhaust (a bunch of holes in the rusty pipe from the cat back to the muffler) and the horn doesn't sound. I can fix the horn easily enough but I will need to take it somewhere to get the exhaust repaired.

4N2NR
Webmaster
Webmaster

Return to Build Journals